Friday, 11 October 2013

Portrait of my Wife

Being a lot more comfortable with a pencil or pen and working in line I have always admired and respected people who can paint. Knowing that I wanted to be an animator since I was 8 years old I formed a habit of always drawing in line and worrying about colour afterwards - as though it was as simple as painting on the back of a sheet of acetate cell. This habit made me extremely confident with my drawing but rather baffled and frustrated  at my inability to paint! I would destroy many sheets of expensive paper and canvas after having spent a good hour on an intricate line drawing upon them, only to slab on the paint to damage both the drawing and paper to irreversible effect! In modern times the arrival of the computer and wacom tablet has given me the chance to experiment and try to develop some painting ability - the undo button is a god send for those of us who have no understanding of mixing the right colour and applying the proper degree of water or paint thinner to the canvas. There is still however a definite degree of skill and understanding that goes into painting whether digital or on canvas and it is to my knowledge quite different from drawing or shading. I am beginning to understand that I should not look upon them as two separate processes when attempting a painting but rather as one. I have picked a favourite subject of mine in an attempt to strengthen my painting abilities - My beautiful wife. I still have a lot to understand and develop as a painter and look forward to posting more and observing the developmental process.






No comments:

Post a Comment